Saturday 26 January 2013

On Ambition, Goals & Dreams.

When I was a little girl, I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. I dreamed of marking papers and giving my students stickers and stamps for a job well done.

I also wanted to be crowned a winner in those Chinese beauty pageants that I grew up watching. I wanted to dress up, look pretty and prance around on stage, but not have to answer terrifying questions wearing a skimpy bikini.

And then I also wanted to be an actress because of all the shows I enjoyed watching and all the characters I felt that I could relate to. A model, and even a singer. In short, I had wanted to be a celebrity-something, an adored-by-many performer.

If you ask me now what I want to be?

I want to be less of a dreamer. I will always be one, but being a dreamer won't be what makes my dreams actually come true. I want to be more practical in my ambition and goals.

I really like what Mark Cuban said on Finding motivation as an entrepreneur:
I daydreamed for motivation. I didn't lie to myself and talk about my passions and how if I was passionate enough about something I could be successful at it.
I was lucky. I grew up knowing that hard work and smart work has a greater impact on results than being passionate about something.


For the rest of the article, click here.

I need to internalize the part about hard work and smart work versus simply being passionate about something. It took a really long time, but I think I finally know exactly what I want to be. And I want to share it to the world, because I want to hold myself accountable. I want to document how I am going to achieve this goal and make productive use of the free time I currently have. I need to make it count.

I will work toward the ambition of becoming The Ultimate Travelling Stylist. I want to be the go-to person to style dessert tables, design wedding and event venues, decorate interiors of home & small commercial spaces, style photo shoots for engagement sessions and models for magazine spreads. Basically, I want to be a one-stop-shop for style, aesthetics, visual & merchandising arts & design and creative direction. It's quite a handful and I know I cannot do this on my own. I want to work alongside like-minded, creative and ambitious individuals who can bring a fresh and different aesthetic, each appreciating the different style forté of the other. My goal is to operate this kind of boutique styling business, surround myself with amazing people and be able to work for clients all over the world.

That is my ambition.

I also have a dream to become a super successful blogger! I want to be able to run and manage a beautiful, visually-appealing, content-rich website (with photography and graphic design skills that I am aiming to master) and be able to share my journey with interested readers, aspiring entrepreneurs and other like-minded individuals. I want to get into the journalistic part of me! I want to be able to support brands I love, attend interesting events and interview some pretty amazing people. The latter is a very appealing perk to me. I would listen intently to their stories, explore how success came about for them and have them impart a little knowledge and wisdom to a wide-eyed sponge like myself. I want to also discover up-and-coming creative individuals and help them build their presence and brand. My website/blog would give me the platform where I can then share and exchange information, thoughts and ideas, with interested and curious individuals. These are valuable opportunities and connections I would probably otherwise never chance upon if I worked a 9-5 mundane office job my entire life, where the only thing I looked forward to, was the weekend.

Did I mention that I want to open a small cafe when I am 40 or so? Lead an active, healthy lifestyle and use my lifetime to {try} to master yoga? Live in Tokyo while I am still young and not yet 30? Be, look, feel and do everything that I can/ want/ am meant to?

Of course, a girl can still dream. But if it is feasible, why not turn that dream into a concrete reality? My first goal is to get out there and start styling. The travelling, one-stop-shop boutique and other things will follow. I want to take this opportunity to thank the people who openly expressed that they believed in me. You have no idea how much this means to me, especially at a time when it is just so easy to throw in the towel, convince yourself that great things just maybe don't happen to everyone and go on to live a stable, unfulfilled life.

Thank you for giving me the encouragement to move forward. It's a bit of pressure to not let anyone (myself, especially) down, but good pressure. To all those that aspire to be something great, let's Go. Up, and Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment