Monday 25 March 2013

Dilemma of the week

How to convince the parents that it's okay that I move out, when:

1) My current financial situation is not the greatest.
2) It's with a guy friend. And because it's a guy, they are afraid 'what other people may think.'
3) If I get the new job, it would be way closer to my current home than the one I'm moving to.
4) There are so many oppositions from different people regarding the move.

What my parents don't understand, is:

1) THEY are one of the biggest, fattest reasons, I need to move out. There is too much negativity, put downs and frustrations from their end that are preventing me from living fully and thinking positively.
2) I need to learn to be more independent for my own benefit. Cook, clean and care for myself - all the things they want me to learn! Which of course, they want me to achieve without me leaving the nest.
3) I need more time to focus on my projects outside of work, and with their constant nagging of sleeping before 12 and please refer to point #1, I am unable to truly find the right state of mind to do so. I am left feeling guilty when my mom tells me she is 'worried and not able to sleep' because I am up past 1am on my laptop working.
4) I don't need my dad to come storming downstairs to take the remote and shut off the tv because of the very rare occasion that I am watching something past 12. Or shut off the lights, when I have the laptop on past 12.

I honestly think it's amazing that I am still relatively sane. So if you find me a little off and kooky - it's all thanks to the environment I grew up in! Everybody has their own family story and I'm not gonna say mine is the worst. But it definitely puts your emotional intelligence to the test. If you can rise above it, good for you. If you can't, you will definitely face some challenges. I just prefer not having to constantly be subjected to this kind of treatment and in this environment. I do intend to come home during weekends and I really hope that they will understand where I am coming from. I appreciate all that they've done for me, especially my mom, but there are just so many other areas where they have not shown good parenting.

I won't get into that, but I just mentioned to my mom my intention to move, about an hour ago. This definitely constitutes as a difficult conversation to have with the parents. Probably worse than when I signed up for the Shanghai internship (before telling them) and left for 5 months before coming home. This happened last year around the same time. And every time, I have to fight for what I want. I am always left feeling guilty because I know I am going against their wishes, but do it anyway. I must be the worst model child. But hey, at least I didn't get knocked up at 16 like her friend's daughter did! Whom by the way, my mom raves about all the time now because she's uber successful and rich (by her own merit), and has since ended up marrying a good guy.

I'll update you guys on the move, but it's gonna be a pretty hellish week where she's gonna try to convince me otherwise with her sheer disappointment in my judgment and her loud objections to such an arrangement. FML. Wish me luck (WML)!

No comments:

Post a Comment