Monday 17 December 2012

Sunday Brunch.

Going out for brunch is one of those occasions I really look forward to, because it's such a rarity that I have the opportunity to go out and indulge in my brunch favourites. I live in the suburbs, where asides from Cora's (which I love by the way, for its fresh fruit and portion size) or Sunset Grill (which I love less), there isn't much else.

My friend Maria was looking for a brunch place to take her daughter to for her birthday. FYI: I am a bit of a food snob so everything is okay or decent unless I explicitly express my enthusiastic love for it (!) Scattered around Toronto, these were some of the suggestions I gave her:


Le Petit Déjeuner

Probably the most popular brunch place in Toronto! Le Petit Déjeuner was jampacked with people and we had to wait in line outside of the establishment. The interior had a pub-like, loft-feel to it, with an intimate and chill vibe. I was told by Linda that it had the best waffles in town and that immediately made me want to check this place out!



She did not mention that they were Belgian waffles, and I prefer the huge, soft and fluffy kind, so I was left mildly disappointed. I have a soft spot for eggs benny and smoked salmon (whether together or separate) as a brunch option, so I went with that. I got sis to order the 'Apple and Brie Panino' (for my love of brie!) but because I've had a better version of it elsewhere, it did not tickle my taste buds quite the same.

Bonjour Brioche Bakery Cafe

Nestled in trendy, quirky, hip Leslieville, Bonjour Brioche is located among the many curious cafés, shops and restaurant establishments in the area. I immediately fell in love with the décor when I walked in. It gave off a very cozy, comfortable and relaxed vibe with all the wooden accents and simple furnishing.



Brunch is not brunch without freshly squeezed grapefruit juice! I opted for one of their 'Tarts du Jour' - the spinach, red pepper and brie. I usually don't order vegetarian, but I just love brie that much! Annie ordered 'Baked French Toast with fresh fruit and maple syrup.' I liked her dish better than mine as it was more flavourful and overall, a more interesting choice. I might have been scarred as a child eating my mom's version of french toast drenched in gooey egg, but I just might start liking french toast after seeing how many different variations of it are actually out there!

Lady Marmalade

I went here so long ago (a year and 3 months to be exact), that I wasn't sure if I would be able to find the pictures to accompany this post. Lady Marmalade is also situated in Leslieville (I just love this area), and also a favourite brunch spot among T-dotters.



If my memory serves me correct, I think we received great service here. Décor was simple, people were chill. It was a great place to just sit back, catch up and enjoy a 'Baked Crêpe Croque Monsieur' without having the rest of the day planned. I wish I could say that I just rolled out of bed to join Annie and Amy, but Amy and I actually had to make the 1.5 hr commute down just to make it to brunch! If only I lived downtown... my life would be so perfect! So many of my dreams would begin coming true, one followed by the other... Well, at least my Sunday Brunch Dates would! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment